Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jesus on the street

I walked right past her.

She sat huddled on the steps in the pouring rain. Her hair was matted to her head and dripping with rain. She had no coat.

I walked past at my usual hurried pace, in my cozy sweater and shielding off the rain with my flowered umbrella.

She lifted her head a bit as I passed by and it wasn't till I was past that her sad face and dripping hair registered in my mind. I wondered if I should go back but thought I'd better get to school and besides, wouldn't it be a bit strange to turn around and go back? I told myself she probably wanted to be sitting there. With her head down in the pouring rain, even as I shivered in my sweater.

So I kept walking and now I shiver to think of it. How I passed by, inches from her folorn figure. I hurried to school like a righteous Christian lady and failed to be like Christ.

And now I want to go back, offer her my umbrella, and ask if she'd like a hot drink. I want to ask her if I can pray with her and tell her she is precious.

Jesus, help me. The next time You are waiting for me along the street, I don't want to walk right past You.






No comments:

Post a Comment